Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 - Make It So

“Writing is not life, but I think that sometimes it can be a way back to life.”
     -Stephen King, On Writing

I’ve been silent on this blog for 158 days.  On the two year anniversary of “My Writing Corner” I admit that’s not a good thing.  However, in being true to its tagline of it being “A place to share my writing, the process of doing so and the part of me that it comes from”, I apologize for the silence and move forward into 2014 with a renewed commitment. 

Two years ago today I started out with the dream of beginning a blog, “ready to take the plunge and open myself up to sharing my writing…to hone my skills as a writer, dedicate myself to the craft of writing more and see where this adventure takes me.”

I had 67 posts in 2012 and found myself sharing not only my fiction, but surprisingly, different parts of my life as well.  It was an unbelievably productive writing time with the frosting on the cake being a published piece in Chicken Soup for the Soul: finding my faith. 

2013 began with a blog about my “growth as an artist as well as a writer” – heady stuff.  I started the year with I Should Be Writing BootCamp with Lisa Romeo (worth every penny, educational and inspiring!) I submitted a handful of pieces to different places and yes, received a couple rejections, but also had a My View published in the Buffalo News and an essay accepted on the “this I believe” website.  I wrote the 17th blog post for the year on July 27th and stopped.

I know from past experience that I don’t just stop writing for no reason.   And although there were numerous ones, in part, depression, like it or not, is part of where my writing comes from.  Sometimes I am able to write through it and other times, like the past five months, it numbs me and nothing makes the passage from my thoughts to the paper.   I’m fortunate to have good people in my life who help me through these times and thankfully, am starting 2014 from a better place. 

I am pleased that I did manage to write one piece in the past five months about a lesson learned from my mom, and got it submitted by the November deadline to Chicken Soup for the Soul for an upcoming book on traumatic brain injuries (I have not heard anything back yet.) 


I’m not sure what direction my writing will take this year, but feel ready for the glide of the pencil of paper and the tapping of my fingertips on the keyboard. It is with thanks to my husband Steven, son Abram, sister Darcey and longtime writing friend Elaine Kehoe of the blog, Tea Leaves for the love, guidance and gentle nudges that have helped make it so. 

14 comments:

  1. Amy, I'm so glad to see you back! You know I love your writing and want to see more of it, but more than that, I want to see you once again back to the whole, happy, loving human being I've always known you as. I'm so happy that you've come through the difficult times you endured this year and very glad if I helped you in any way. This year let's rediscover the healing and uplifting power of writing! And I'm proud of you for getting that piece submitted to Chicken Soup. Let's go forward....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elaine! It felt good to write and post again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 🎉 putting on my party hat! So happy to see you back on my wall with a post!

    I understand the lull and have done that myself, more than once, but is always end up writing again for publication. Let me add here that when I am in the depressed state of SAD, I do write, but I do not publish those. They would be too black for my readers and far too personally deprecating for anyone to enjoy reading. They are for my own mind dump and no one else's eyes.
    That helps me, but it isn't for everyone a cure.

    Let's get this new year in gear, shall we? Let's WRITE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always makes me smile when you read and comment Jo! I've written through some of the sad times too, but this one took a bit of a different turn. Glad to know how you work through your times and full steam ahead on the writing! :)

      Delete
  4. It is so good to see you back writing again and sharing! YAY! Sometimes you have to take breaks to regroup and then you come back to writing like a long lost friend revitalized and pumped to write more and better than ever before. Happy New Year Amy! I look forward to reading more of your wonderful words in 2014! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy - that is what I'm hoping for! Onward!

      Delete
  5. Welcome back. Sometimes life gets in the way, and the writing and blogging has to get pushed into the corner; this, too, is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment Beverly. It's beginning to all come back a bit into balance. :)

      Delete
  6. Welcome back, Amy. No looking back now - I would love to see you writing more! If you need one more 'nudger', I'm offering my services!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corrine - you already are a source of inspiration from your facebook posts to Everyday Gyaan! :)

      Delete
  7. This might be a good time to set a goal. It could be something small, like writing to answer a prompt each month or you could decide to post on a specific day of the week. Set a goal and you'll get back to blogging, if that's what you want.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2014/01/musical-monday-after-ever-after.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound advice Joyce. :) My goal is to work back to both blogging and my other writing areas as well. Here's to moving forward!

      Delete
  8. Amy, I completely understand what you are talking about - that depression can make it hard to put thoughts and feelings to paper. I've had a dry spell as well since July. I'd like to write new blogs but everytime I try, I get stuck. I am reading a few blogs, like yours, that have inspired me in the past, hoping that I'll find motivation to move forward. Congrats on your publishing success. Keep up the good work - I really enjoy your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm humbled to read that you have been inspired by any post of mine. That is truly a dream comment to read. I find myself at a crossroads when looking at my blog this year and deciding do I write "pieces" or do I write more of "myself". I hope to find a balance of the two. Your words are a great encouragement and I hope your motivation comes back to you and carries you places you never imagined. Warm regards...

    ReplyDelete