Sunday, October 14, 2012

On. The. Shelf.



That’s me right there. 
Published.
On the shelf.
In Barnes and Noble. 
My piece, “Journey’s Beginning”, one of the stories in Chicken Soup for the Soul, finding my faith.
Two days before the official release date of October 16th.

...let me catch my breath….

Okay, I’m good now.  My first thought?  I wish my parents were alive to see this.  Not counting marrying a man they came to adore and providing them with a grandson they loved beyond belief, I know this writing achievement would’ve been one of their proudest moments of me.  I know many will say “they know” or “they’re watching over you” and I appreciate that.  For this though, I’d love to see the smile in their eyes, get that big bear hug from dad, and get a card from mom, wishing me “heartiest congratulations.”

My second thought? Wow, that’s me!  Right there on the shelf at Barnes & Noble! 

I remember Steven being the first to point out a couple months ago that someday we’d be in a store and there, on a display, would be the book.  It was so wonderful to have him with me at B&N, sharing that moment; reminding me to walk slowly and take in the “ambiance” of where we were…that I had a published piece HERE. He is, without a doubt, my biggest supporter, most steadfast fan and diligent proofreader.

Writing for me is a solitary pursuit.  Sharing the publication process and being “in the limelight” has been anything but.  The first big share was with Paul Robinson, the pastor of Trinity Church at the time I wrote “Journey’s Beginning”.  Paul ran the membership class I wrote about that directed my faith journey.  I’ve been fortunate to call him a friend ever since and it was a great joy to give him an advance copy of the book the day they arrived on my doorstep.    

Messages of congratulations from friends and family have been nothing short of amazing and I’m so appreciative of their support and encouragement.  Not only has it been a learning experience, but it’s been both a pleasure and great fun to share the announcement of “Journey’s Beginning” being accepted, the arrival of the advance copies and now the sighting of it in a REAL BOOK STORE.  Whew!

I will NEVER toss that Simon & Schuster box!
The advance copies arrived about two weeks ago and I love what I’ve read so far.  I read a half dozen or so stories at a sitting.  It would have been easy to read the book in the first day or two, but I’m giving each story its due, just as I hope other readers will with mine.  Each one carries a very personal message from the author and when I finish the book, I plan to contact as many of the other contributors as I can, based on the bio information provided in the back of the book.  Yes, the stories were picked on their individual merit, but also with purpose to reflect a cohesive message of hope and renewal.

For as excited as I am, I do realize the book’s not mine.  It’s an anthology, made possible by 100 other contributors as well as authors Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen, co-founders of the Chicken Soup for the Soul series and Susan M. Heim, author and editor of numerous publications, many of them part of the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. 

I’m honored to be a part of the book and to be in their company.  Happy reading!

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations! They look great on the shelf - and hopefully, they disappear quickly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the first time I saw my firs novel n a bookstore shelf. It's huge validation. Of course there was my lone sandra tyler book next to Anne Tyler's trillions...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Validation - that's a good word! I was sandwiched between other Chicken Soup books and Jimmy Carter, overall not bad company. :) Thanks for reading/commenting!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Amy. When the book makes its way into our small town library, I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'd be honored to have you read it!

      Delete
  4. I hope they still have some copies left when I have a chance to get to B&N! I can't wait to see it! I remember when my first poem appeared in Rosebud magazine: I found it at the Brown University bookstore, and I just stood there with the magazine open, looking at it. When I took it to the checkout, I felt so special, I wanted to tell the clerk, "I'm published in here!" LOL! Enjoy your triumph, Amy! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elaine. I remember when I had the cover article for Cats & Kitten magazine, I even had a hard time at the pet store where I bought a couple copies that the article was mine. It is a wonderful feeling though and thank you for your continuous support!

      Delete
  5. Amy - drink in the satisfaction of your dreams coming true. You own it, girl. I do identify with wanting your folks here to share this. My Dad passed 4 years ago. I still miss him so much and dearly wish he'd been around to see me sing jazz. He, like your folks, are watching from somewhere and surrounding us with love. Their gifts live on.

    ReplyDelete