Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Split



"Tera, be serious.  You can’t walk away from five years of marriage over something like this.  It doesn’t make sense,” Jason said, standing in the doorway.

“I am, it does and I’ve explained it to you. You just aren’t listening.  Not that I would expect anything else for you at this point.”

“Don’t give me that,” Jason’s fist slammed the doorway.  “It doesn’t make sense.  You’re leaving me because Maxwell died?”

“You really don’t get it do you? From the moment he came into our lives you were jealous of him.”

“That’s bullshit!”

“No, it’s not.  Yes, Jason, I loved you both, but my God, it was a different… there was no reason for you to be jealous.”

“You don’t know what you’re saying. You can’t leave me over this!”

“Yes, I can,” she said, ducking past him into the apartment hallway.  “You want it spelled out in black and white for you, then fine.  Yes, he relied on me more.  I fed him, nurtured him, right from the start.  He knew I loved him.”  She sighed deeply.  “I loved him, and he loved me.  Unconditionally.  Something you aren’t capable of.”

“I love you Tera….you don’t know how much.”

“No, I do know and that’s the problem.  It’s not a healthy love.  I won’t be controlled by it anymore."  She turned to face him when she reached the front door.  “It’s dangerous and Maxwell died because of it.”

“Tera, it was an accident, damn it!  It wasn’t my fault.”  He jammed his fists into his jean pockets.  “He just ran into the street…”

“I know Jason. I know what you told me, and I know what I saw as I watched from the window.”  She met his surprised gaze head on.  "Ah, now you get it.  Yes, he ran into the street, but only after you threw his ball.  Dogs do that you know.” 
###


I remembered writing this piece while Steve and I were vacationing in Maine this past August.  As we walked, hiked, ate in restaurants, took a windjammer cruise and did all the usual tourist activities, what struck me was that couples brought their dogs everywhere.  The importance the dog played in their relationship was obvious and I got to thinking that instead of the dog being a pet (albeit a very much loved one), it was actually more on the level of an equal partner in the relationship. I wrote this piece years ago for a writing class and the assignment was to write a break up scene of 400 words or less entirely (I almost made it) in dialogue.  At the time, the reason behind the split seemed a remote one, but after Maine, it suddenly seemed quite plausible.  With that in mind, I thought I’d share it as a lesson learned for me in how a piece’s impact and relevance can change over time.  (Please note:  Steven and I love dogs, have had them in our families all our lives and I am in no way shedding any disparaging attitude towards dogs or the place they have in our friends and families lives.)

10 comments:

  1. I not only loved the story, I wanted Jason to be left alone and for Tera to find a man worthy of her trust. OMG...you so sucked me! Great job.
    It definitely could happen and to tell you the truth, I would never be with a man who couldn't or wouldn't love my dogs, regardless of what other good attributes he might have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo - that means a lot. My Dad always had a very special bond with his dogs. We may have outlived them, but each one he had (always female dogs in our family) was his fourth daughter...

      Delete
  2. As a dog lover, I absolutely get this story, Amy. Our Pablo is an important part of our lives and relationship. Fantastic story, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. It was unexpected, felt plausible. And I hate Jason. Good riddance. Dog killer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing makes me happier than to have someone say a piece felt plausible. That's what I strive for but don't always know if I hit the mark - thanks Tara!

      Delete
  4. Loved the story. Was rather concerned that Jason might do something a bit more violent -- he's hitting the wall, she describes him as controlling, he was responsible for the dog's death -- all classic signs of an abuser, where her leaving might have pushed him over the edge. Darned good thing she got out of there!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just the personality trait I was hoping came through Erin. And maybe a little peek at things not revealed in this short piece too. I appreciate your stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  5. You know what a dog lover I am, Amy, and I absolutely hate Jason. Good for her for leaving. Dogs are members of our families!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definately thought of you when I posted this one Elaine...I know how much you both love Honey!

      Delete